Wednesday 2 March 2011

rediscovering pleating..

The double helix has inspired me to try pleating again, after asking Richard he showed me another technique of how to make the paper twist, just add one more fold!


I love the way it just flows, and how its free to spin and move on its own creating some interesting shadows and movements.

I also set it up 'sitting down' to see what shapes and contours i could make, also what different shadows would form.


This one reminds me of a shell, because of the ways it sort of folds in on itself. a bit like the one below;


I wish i had thought of this earlier as i have a shel like this at home! i could have explored it in more detail first hand.

this image was found at http://www.thearubahouse.com/seashell_collecting.html#


I like photographing this sort of form because you can get different effects and interesting shadows from every angle.


I think i would like to use this technique in my design, manipulating the pleated paper to form abstract shapes. I'll probably have to attach them with string/ cotton to keep their forms.

This way of paper manipulation really reminds me of spiral staircases. I went out and took some photos to see if the way they are built/ held together could give me any ideas of how to hold my piece in place.



The poles holding the structure cold possibly help me in deciding how to hold the shape of my design.

No comments:

Post a Comment